All personal information which City of Dublin Education and Training Board (CDETB) holds is protected by the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003. The Board takes its responsibilities under these laws seriously. Its Data Protection Policy sets out, in writing, the manner in which Personal Data relating to staff, students and other individuals (e.g. parents, Board members, members of boards of management etc.) is kept and how the data concerned is protected.
CDETB is obliged to comply with the principles of data protection set out in the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 which can be summarised as follows:
- obtain and process Personal Data fairly
- keep it only for one or more specified and explicit lawful purposes
- process it only in ways compatible with the purposes for which it was given initially
- keep Personal Data safe and secure
- keep data accurate, complete and up-to-date
- ensure that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive
- retain it no longer than is necessary for the specified purpose or purposes and
- provide a copy of his/her Personal Data to any individual, on request.
Purpose of the Policy: The Data Protection Acts apply to the keeping and processing of Personal Data, both in manual form and on computer. The purpose of this Policy is to assist CDETB to meet its statutory obligations while explaining those obligations to staff.
To whom will the Policy apply? The Policy applies to all staff, the Board, parents/guardians, students and others insofar as they handle or process Personal Data in the course of their dealings with CDETB.