With Further Education and Training (FET) not just about the points you get it’s about the passion you have.
If you want to take a course that is creative, practical and makes you a specialist – then FET is for you.
If you want to take a course that makes you employable – you want a job – then FET is for you.
If you want to study somewhere that is friendly and supported, where teachers get to know you and class sizes are not too big – then FET is for you.
If you want to try out a brand new subject area – then FET is for you.
If you want to explore alternative routes to Higher Education – then FET is for you.
CDETB offers more than 400 FET programmes at levels 5 and 6 in 18 Colleges across the city.
Students whose interests are in areas like media, horticulture or sports often choose FET as their first choice because of the practical element and the overall reputation the courses have developed.
- Performing Arts is a specialism at Inchicore College of Further Education.
- Ballyfermot CFE is well-known for Animation, Music, Digital Media and Media Production. Coláiste Dhúlaigh has some similar specialisms and has been the flagship for Outdoor Education for more than 25 years.
- Crumlin CFE has developed an excellent reputation for its School of Beauty Hair and Fashion. There are excellent Catering courses in Crumlin CFE and in Coláiste Ide in Finglas.
- Pearse CFE has a strong reputation for its Environmental programmes. The range is wide and surprising.
Many people specifically choose PLC courses because they are practical. Students get hands-on experience from the very beginning. Early work experience helps them to determine very quickly if they have chosen an area that suits their particular talents and skills.
It is an opportunity to explore choice of career further before committing to, for example, a four year degree path.
It is an opportunity to explore a brand new subject area.
It is an opportunity to study locally. Many students regard being local as very important, not having to live away from home.
A Links scheme exists which enable PLC students to apply directly for Third Level entry through the CAO.
Many of our colleges have special arrangements with Colleges and Universities both within the Republic of Ireland and the UK offering advanced entry to second or third year of degree programmes.
The record of students who progress is exemplary. Having studied for one or two years in an FE college, students are better prepared for Higher Education – they understand what’s needed in order to get a good degree. This is shown in their results with almost all of the students who progress obtaining an honours degree. The students have developed confidence and know what they want. FET graduates will succeed because they are focused, prepared and have developed a good work ethic, they are ready.
Each of CDETB’s colleges have strong industry links acquired over decades. Work experience is mandatory on all further education or PLC courses. All students undertake a work placement at home or abroad.
- The Renewable Energy Practices programme at Coláiste Dhúlaigh CFE offers excellent career prospects in an expanding market. As people become more interested in renewable energy and home improvement there has been an expansion in jobs in retrofitting and installation.
- There is a strong demand for staff in the computer industry. There is a popular perception that, in order to gain work, you must have a degree in the area but this is not the case. Two years and a QQI level 6 award provide a student with a stand-alone qualification. A Computer Systems Technician course, for example can lead to jobs in areas like networking, software installation and security.
- The travel and tourism industry is at an all-time high. Almost all CDETB graduates gain employment at the end of the programme.
- Outdoor Education is another buoyant market. A course in this area can lead to jobs in the adventure sector of the tourism and leisure industry and in outdoor recreation.
- There is huge growth in the entertainment and performance industry. Courses in Drama, Dance and Music performance all lead to fulfilling work and there are also opportunities in the related areas of Music Management and Sound Engineering.
- Animation and Digital Media graduates from Ballyfermot CFE and Coláiste Dhúlaigh are much sought after by industry and graduates of Ballyfermot College have received an Academy Award and a number of BAFTAs, EMMYs and ANNIES.
- Many of the students in the Creative Arts such as Fine Art, Graphic Design and Fashion Design become self-employed.
- Many practical and specialist areas like Horticulture also lead directly to work and very often to self-employment.
- In the area of the Sciences a general science foundation in laboratory techniques leads to jobs as laboratory technician laboratory assistant.
- There is a huge demand for qualified Childcare and Healthcare staff and FET colleges have met this demand.
Come to #FETCITYEXPO 10-3 Tuesday November 21st Ballyfermot CFE to find out more.